Changing money in Bangkok is a fairly easy process. Choosing where to change your money can have a noticeable impact on how much baht you’ll have in your wallet. Those on a budget should try to avoid big banks in shopping malls and popular tourist spots as the higher rents are passed onto the customer in the form of commission rates.
Bear in mind the amount of time it takes to go out of your way to find the best exchange rates. If you add up your lost time and taxi fares, many might just choose to take the convenience of a large bank despite the poor exchange rate. Many big department stores accept major foreign currencies such as US dollar and Japanese yen but expect rather poor exchange rates. You must have your passport with you to exchange currency in Bangkok.
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Vertigo & Moon Bar Rooftop Dining
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Chao Phraya River Dinner Cruise
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Half-Day Tour
Superrich International Exchange
Superrich is one of the most famous money exchange companies in Bangkok. They have several branches across the city, ranging from kiosks in selected BTS Skytrain stations to small shops along Pratunam and Chitlom.
The most popular branches are listed here:
• Head Office:
Ratchadmri Road Soi 2. Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 6pm. Tel: +66 (0)2 655 2488
• Silom Building:
Silom-Narathiwas Road Intersection. Opening Hours: Monday–Friday from 9am to 6pm, weekends from 9am to 5pm. Tel +66 (0)2 635 0900
• Chit Lom BTS Skytrain Station kiosk:
Chit Lom BTS (Exit 1). Opening Hours: daily from 10am to 10pm (buy foreign currencies only)
• Asok BTS Skytrain Station kiosk:
Asok BTS (Exit 1). Opening Hours: daily from 10am to 10pm (buy foreign currencies only)
Vasu Exchange Bangkok
Vasu Exchange is located in the Nana area of Sukhumvit, Soi 7/1. The conversions here are very competitive and are virtually guaranteed to be better than most Thai or international banks.
- Opening Hours: Monday–Friday from 9am to 6pm, Saturday from 9am to 5pm (closed on Sundays)
- Location: 133-133/1 Sukhumvit Rd, Khlong Toei Nuea, Watthana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)2 251 1859
Do you need to carry Thai baht in Bangkok?
In these days of digital transactions, it’s not always necessary to exchange cash when travelling in a foreign country. Paying by credit card is very popular, especially in a shopping mall or top-end restaurant. Credit card fraud is not a big problem in Bangkok. However, it’s always a good idea to carry cash for small purchases, taxi fares, and market visits.